Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Postmodern Christian

I am the postmodern Christian. I love the fact that God is loving and forgiving but I often like to forget that He is holy. I live my week full of compromise, waiting for that call to repentance after the worship music on Sunday morning. And, by the way, that’s the defining moment of my Christianity. I am not very good with the Bible, or prayer. God speaks to me loudest through slow and emotional music, whether it is Christian or not. I do not agree much with the Bible either; it creates too much conflict in my opinion. The Bible is two thousand years old so I am not sure I can trust it fully. I can’t quote too many verses but I can remember almost everything my pastor says. Isn’t that why he went to Bible school? Wasn’t he taught the Bible so he could teach us? Well, though I do listen keenly to my pastor, I notice occasionally that he is shy to talk about sin. He keeps pleasing our ears with wonderful messages about relationships, money and practical Christian living. I do enjoy that but I think he should speak more sharply about sin. However, I would never submit to his authority! I would not let him embarrass me in the name of Church discipline, or let him see my vulnerability in the name of pastoral care. I guess I can keep him and the rest of the Church a safe distance away from me. After all, I have a privatized faith. I keep my faith to myself and try not to impose it on others. Anyway, Jesus is my PERSONAL Savior. Plus, Christianity may not be the only right way to God. I try to speak as generally as possible to accommodate everybody. Didn’t Jesus do that too? I do not want others to feel that I am judging and condemning them so I speak less of the truth so that I can reduce the likelihood of conflict. I go to Church but I am not so much a Church person, if you know what I mean. However, I do have a deep, personal and intimate relationship with Jesus. I accept Christ but deny His Church-for which He died and purchased with His own blood. I also use a lot of theological jargon to make me feel spiritual and profoundly deep. I misinterpret Scripture for the same purpose. I want to reach the lost with the gospel but I realize I do not seem to know it quite well. I am actively involved in social projects with my church but I really can’t explain why! I insist that words have no meaning, but I say I am a Christian. I insist that words have no meaning but I derive my meaning from The Word. I am a confused person; with my lips I confess Christ but with my life I deny Him. I am the postmodern Christian.

1 comment: